Photos
Clock

Welcome to the Ravenglass Railway Museum
Your journey starts here!

We are now OPEN! Visit our brand-new museum open daily 9Am - 5Pm . 

Stay tuned for our new website, arriving very soon!

Located at Ravenglass Station, the Museum tells the fascinating story of the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway through our collection of historic artefacts

Pay us a visit and learn about

  • devonsmall.jpgThe Cumbrian iron ore boom which led to the opening of a 3ft gauge railway between the mines in Boot and the main-line railway at Ravenglass in 1875

 

  • ellacolossussmall.jpgThe purchase of 'Owd Ratty' and its re-imagining as a 15inch gauge line by
    W.J. Bassett-Lowke in 1915

 

  • eskirt.jpgThe closure and saving of the railway in 1960 by local businessmen and the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Preservation Society

 

  • modernmite.jpgHow the railway operates today as one of the Britain's premier tourist railways

 


The museum is open whenever the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway is operating, and has been redeveloped for 2017 with assistance from
 the Heritage Lottery Fund - watch this site for further details 

More history

Latest News
What’s on?
Trains
Trains

Steam engines of the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway
Enjoy a ride on one of our heritage steam or diesel engines during your visit

  • River Irt
    River Irt
    Originally built by Sir Arthur Heywood in 1894 and named Muriel, River Irt is the oldest working 15 inch gauge locomotive in the world.
  • River Esk
    River Esk
    River Esk was purpose-built for the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway and was delivered in 1923 from Davey, Paxman & Co of Colchester.
  • River Mite
    River Mite
    River Mite is owned by the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Preservation Society, and first entered service in 1967. Built by Clarkson’s of York using components from River Esk’s steam tender, the engine made history when it was delivered to Ravenglass by traction engine.
  • Northern Rock
    Northern Rock
    Built in the workshops at Ravenglass to the design of the then chief engineer, Ian Smith, Northern Rock first saw service in 1976.

More about the engines

The Copeland Community Fund North and West Cumbria Fisheries Local Action Group